View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 12:15 AM   #101
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Cool Hand Luke (1967)

Sorry Sneak King fans....I'm a liar.

Released 1967
Rated: NOT RATED
Staring: Paul Newman, George Kennedy, J.D. Cannon, Lou Antonio, and Morgan Woodward
Written by: Donn Pearce and Frank Pierson. Based off the novel by 'Donn Pearce'
Directed by: Stuart Rosenberg

Acting: A-
Cinematography: B
Story: B
Sound: C+

Cool Hand Luke. You probably know more about this film through parody than you know. Cool Hand Like is one of those classic films that any aspiring filmmaker should watch. If you are a fan of prison dramas, this one is right up your alley as well. If you liked 'The Shawshank Redemption,' you owe it to yourself to see the film that helped pave the path for such recognition of stories of redemption and fighting against the urge to comform to prision life.

Lucas Jackson, played by Paul Newman

One night in a small town, a drunk Lucas Jackson decides to cut off the tops of parking meters, municipal property. APPARENTLY such a crime warrants 2 years on the chain gang. However, neither prisor, nor the inmates, nor the guards can change Luke. He's a natural born earth-shaker.

Boss Godfrey, the man with no eyes. Played by Morgan Woodward

While in prison, life starts fair enough. You wake up at dawn, you are trucked out into the countryside, and you work. Hard. If you run, they catch you and put chains on your legs. If you run again, they put two sets on. You run a third time, and they kill yea. Learn the rules, follow them.

But not Luke. He sticks to his own path, even at the risk of angering not only the guards, but his fellow gangmembers too. Unlike the rest of the gang, Luke doesn't go crazy over the women washing a car in a thin, torn dress...even when she 'innocently' spills soap all over herself. Luke doesn't back down from a bet to eat 50 hardboiled eggs in an hour. And Luke runs.

Women do wash cars better than men do.
Click here to watch this scene

If you have seen, 'The Shawshank Redemption' you can easily relate to this story. Man is thrown in prison. He is a character. He is one of those prisoners whom the older inmates will tell younger inmates about for generations, all because he didn't let prison break his spirit.

Shawshank ripped this scene off.

The film has a very leisurly tempo. Don't expect anything too hardcore to happen here. In fact, if this was prison was like back in the early 60's, then what the hell happened between then and now?

The film offers some amazing camera angles, though most of which might go unappreciated by those who have seen many good recent films. But, they all owe something to Luke, the style of depicting a chain gang, the way prison guards are depicted, the way solidarity works amongst prisoners. All of this is well represented too.

Can Luke eat 50 eggs in one hour? (Newman actually did this)
Click here to watch this scene

The film offers a pretty good soundtrack. However, I feel that overtime it has lost much of its flair. The main theme is still a classic that I'm currently practicing on my guitar for those long, warm summer nights. But for the most part, the poor sound quality (Mono only!) tend to take away from the film.

Luke sends his boys a magazine from the outside.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (Zen9 5950x, 64GB, RTX 3090), PS5

Last edited by Drunken Savior; 03-06-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote